Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

On Jul 5, 3:16*pm, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. *The spots of weeds *pop up with no apparent source. *They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. *I
am in the Chicago suburbs. *Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhofmann/4761771580/

Thanks,

Bob Hofmann

Looks a bit like stuff invading my lawn in spots. *Easily pulled and
broadleaf killer does not touch it. *I think premerge suppresses it as
neighbors lawn out back is nearly 100% since he does not treat back.
Pulling and premerg are my recommendations.

I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.

I am curious how this weed propogates. The plants don't seem to have
any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any
other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots,
but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible
topping. Bird dropppings???? or what????