Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

On 7/5/10 7:07 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 5, 3:16 pm, Frank wrote:
On 7/4/2010 5:00 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

I have the invasive grass/weed shown in the picture in many places in
my lawn. The spots of weeds pop up with no apparent source. They do
no respond to weed killer, and they crowd out regular lawn grass. I
am in the Chicago suburbs. Can anyone tell me what the grayish green
grass/weed is and how to get rid of it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhofmann/4761771580/

Thanks,

Bob Hofmann

Looks a bit like stuff invading my lawn in spots. Easily pulled and
broadleaf killer does not touch it. I think premerge suppresses it as
neighbors lawn out back is nearly 100% since he does not treat back.
Pulling and premerg are my recommendations.

I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.

I am curious how this weed propogates. The plants don't seem to have
any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any
other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots,
but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible
topping. Bird dropppings???? or what????

Grass has flowers and seeds. Many smaller grasses have flowers that
escape notice. Generally, they are on short stalks and have "rays" like
miniature umbrella ribs. The seeds are smaller than the seeds that
speckle the outside of a strawberry.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean