Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gloria Gloria is offline

Default Purple Cone Flower

"Darren" wrote in message
Greetings all,
Over this past weekend, I bought a small "purple cone flower" plant at
my local nursery to add to my little butterfly garden.
I planted it as per the instructions of the guy at the nursery. I dug
out a small hole, then put the plant in, then filled in with a little
more soil. Then I watered it a little.
The next day, the plant had shriveled up a little, and just didn't
look well.

I had read that you weren't supposed to water them too much.

That is for established plants. For planting a plant, you should dig a hole
bigger than the pot the plant came out of, then fill the hole with water,
put the plant in and fill the hole arund the plant. It wouldn't hurt to
water again after you've got the plant planted. Mulching around the plant
will help hold the moisture it needs. Untill the plant is firmly
established, you shoud water it every day. HTH
Gloria

But, we have had blistering heat here in NY this week, so I though
maybe that was the problem. I felt the leaves and flowers and they
felt very dried out. So, I watered it twice today, and that seemed to
perk up the plant a little.
Any advice on this?
Thanks in advance, as always!

Darren