Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
naomi naomi is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy9i View Post

For what you are expecting it'll cost you around £5000, so really you have to make a choice....do you spend £5000 at least, or do you spend £1400 and apply the finish of your choice.

As an aside note on the issue of grade C teak in general. I personally can take a grade C set and make it into something the mother-in-law would wet her pants over, because I am prepared to put in the effort to make it so.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with grade C teak, only a bunch of asshole grade A suppliers who would rather you spent £5000 with them, and get annoyed when another supplier undercuts them with an item which is simply a bit lighter in colour, but lasts every bit as long.

So let this be an end of the so-called crap grade C argument...Grade A can be just rough as an indonesian back street suppliers grade C...

Like the old argument, its not what you have got...its what you do with it that counts...

so...learn how to treat and prepare teak, or go to Harrods and spend lots of money.

Ray.

I have seen real grade A teak and fully machine made for as little as £800 so I have no idea where you get £5000 from. It seems to me that you are the one who is getting a bit annoyed as people are getting a bit smarter now and realise it’s well worth spending extra and getting something that will really last a lifetime. I have no idea how you can claim that Grade C is the same as grade A. Grade C is mostly sapwood and contains no natural oils at all. Grade A is made out of the heartwood which is infinitely stronger and contains lots of protective oils which is what teak is famous for. Grade C more often than not tend to sell their teak wet. I.e., in the majority of cases, their teak has not been kiln dried which means your teak will warp and split in a very short time. The information is all out there for those who are interested in learning.