Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Invasive weed/grass in my lawn

On Jul 6, 1:55*pm, "songbird" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

I started pulling today, we'll see how long my back can hold out.

I am curious how this weed propogates. *The plants don't seem to have
any flowers/seeds, and yet a new patch will start up 30 feet from any
other patches in the yard. I can understand spreding thru the roots,
but 30 feet is a long distance for a root without any visible
topping. * Bird dropppings???? *or what????

* someplace else might be supplying
the seeds for it (how it got there to
begin with). *or there might be seeds
coming in via other means (fertilizers,
composts, reseeding).

*mulching mower, or animal movement
(birds sometimes pull pieces of turf and
mud to use as nest making materials and
then drop it (oh no a hawk!)).

* if those are leaf nodules on the stems
some of those might be viable given
the right moisture and soil conditions.
any mower sucks and some of what
they suck may include stems that are
weakened and not deeply attached
with a bit of root. *instant transport to
new location, regular watering and
there ya go.

* more than likely though, is seeds
as some stems may lay flat enough to
not be clipped before flowering and
setting seed. *after the seeds form
then they can be dispersed in a
near infinite number of ways (well
as far as i'm concerned, there's just
too many critters out there).

* first and last of the above most
likely. *the middle is just me being
pedantic. *i left out the parts that
get caught in deer feet because
that only happens here. *

* good luck,

* songbird

Well, we have cyotees(sp?), rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, hawks,
owls, robins and God knows how many other wildlife types right in our
own yard, so anything is possible. I guess I'm stuck doing a lot of
pulling to control things.