Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default I saved a Duck's life last night & what to do about Hawks

Charley wrote:

. What can I do about this bird who lingers around
this college pond full of Ducks, Swans and Geese? Thank you.

Thank him for keeping the vermin in check? I've always liked
hawks, but my respect went up a notch recently when I was watching a
special on hummingbirds.

Hummingbirds choose their nesting places near red-tailed hawk nests.
The hawks keep the squirrel population down and squirrels are the
worst predators of the hummingbirds.

Sure the hawks get the occasional songbird, duck or something we
consider 'cute'. But for the most part they eat rodents, which to
me, are mostly unwanted.

Jim