Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Effects of cold winter

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Pam Moore" wrote
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Can't say I've lost anything, even the one I thought I'd lost, Musa
lasiocarpa, is just sprouting (ready to get hit back next winter!).
One plant that has not grown correctly is a decent sized Hibiscus
syriacus "Diana" which burst into life then got hit by a late frost and
then just burst into life again and stopped. It hasn't done anything
more so still looks exactly as it did in late spring, green buds just
broken. Very strange.

I had several Hibiscus syriacus varieties in the ground, and several
more in pots. I seem to have lost all the ones that were in pots.

I lost all my Anisodonteas (but I had cuttings) and Abutilons (but I had
cuttings for most of them), and most of my shrubby Lavateras (the
herbaceous ones seem to have come through).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley