Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Plant I.d

Les Hemmings wrote:
sheila wrote:
Having a senior moment, I'm sure I should know what this is but I'm
beggard if I can remember!! Is it a plant or weed!!

A weed is only a plant in the wrong place!

Is it the stuff that smells like ramsons? Smelled ramsons VERY
strongly the other day on a roadside verge but couldn't find any!
Could it have been Jack in the Hedge?

Ramsons has usually died down by now - at least mine has - but Jack by the
Hedge usually only gives off a garlic smell if it's crushed.
It makes a tallish plant when mature, with a small group of white flowers at
the top.
I know it well as I have quite a bit of it in my garden.
It's not a "weed" that I particularly discourage, it's an annual and my
chickens like to eat it (as I do)
They will scoff the entire plant apart from the stem but I like to eat the
young leaves when it's just popping up like in the photo.
Somewhere I have some recipes that use it. Not transferred yet to my blue
book ;-)
The recipes might be in a book I have "Food from the Countryside"

Tina