Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Effects of cold winter

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants?
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

I planted some Disporum smithii seeds I got from a nursery in Shetland in
autumn 2006. They sprouted OK, I kept them in a heated greenhouse over the
winter, they did nothing at all in the summer, and this went on and on, with
nothing really happening and the plants no more than about 2 mm high, if
even alive. They struggled through every winter and I was convinced they
were dead. Eventually last autumn I threw the small pots out of the
greenhouse door, intending to tidy up later (months later, as it happened).
It was freezing in the garden over much of the winter as we all know.

But then when I began clearing up in around March time this year - lo and
behold, I found the pots on their sides with quite large plants in them. In
fact, this spring they flowered for the first time!

So I know what to do this winter: leave them out to fend for themselves.

My Zantedeschias and Agapanthus are planted in the ground, and even though I
wrapped them with bubble wrap and stuff, they're not looking very good. I
don't think they'll flower for a couple of years.

someone