Old 08-07-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_10_] George[_10_] is offline

Default pruning tomato flowers?

We have some indeterminate tomatoes (Cherokee Purples), which are
growing well (knock on wood), and producing a lot of flowers, and (so
far) some fruits. We cut a tree this year, so have actual SUN in the
garden - a new experience.

Some of the flowers seem quite close together. I'm wondering if it
would make sense to pinch some of these off now (zone 5+). My
'reasoning' is that this would (a) avoid crowding, and (b) 'direct more
energy' (as they say) to the remaining fruits.

I didn't find much about this with Google. (Which may be a skill-set
issue.)

Thanks,
George