Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Enchanter's nightshade

In message , kay
writes

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;893426']"someone" wrote in message
...-
This plant (Circaea lutetiana) has appeared out of nowhere in my
garden,
specifically in my stone troughs. Should I leave it alone, as it's
quite
attractive, or deal with it before it gets out of hand? Does anyone
here
have experience of it?
-
Any reason to kill it?

Once it gets established, it is capable of spreading and carpeting the
soil.It spreads by creeping roots, which break easily, and presumably
also by seed, since it pops up in all corners of the garden. On the
other hand, it's quite easy to pull. I'd regard it as something on the
lines of germander speedwell, not as bad as, say, Alchemilla mollis,
dandelion or salad burnet (even though they srpead as individual plants)

I know it as a plant of shady woodlands. Would I be right in expecting
it to fail to establish in most garden contexts?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley