Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Old Grumpy's Guide to Gooseberry Gathering

The Weary Gardener wrote:
1. It is always worth going after that last tiny scrawny berry because
you'll discover yet another 10 luscious berries each the size of bull's
********.

I'm suffering* from this atm with strawberries. There is a haunting smell
of going-rotten strawberries on the allotment, but I can't pick enough of
them to keep up! (We can mostly polish them off, as long as we remember
where we put them, though)
Each time I run out of picking time and have to be Elsewhere I find another
little collection of them and have to stop to pick them ...

2. In spite of the thorn hazard, you must hug the bush. That is to say, one
by one, bring each branch in turn into your arms. Then you can be sure that
you have garnered every last berry.

I've just been on a first aid course, and each day I've been turning up with
more and more scratches up my arms. My entire right arm is just a mass of
bloody scratches. Mostly going across, but one or two running down, too.
All from raspberries, gooseberries and some really evil snags from my
beautiful-but-viscious rose!

3. Do not harvest by bending over. That is the recipe for back-ache. Get
yourself a
little stool and sit right down beside the bush. This also assists with (2)
above.

Now that is a plan that I hadn't thought of!