Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I know it as a plant of shady woodlands. Would I be right in expecting
it to fail to establish in most garden contexts?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
No. Underneath any bush or even herbaceous perennial has much the same characteristics as a shady woodland. Though I admit my garden is shadier and more unkempt than most.

Besides, most hings that live in shade, or on poor dry soil, or other unfavourable situation, do so, not because they like the situation, but because they don't like competition. Keep the competition down (as we tend to do in gardens) and they will love the better conditions.

(Fitter says "a carpeter, sometimes unwelcome in gardens")