Old 08-07-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Effects of cold winter

On Jul 7, 12:17*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
How did the cold winter weather affect your plants? *
I lost a zantedeschia, and some agapanthus (all in pots).
I have far fewer flowers on agapanthus generally but I have the best
display of lily blooms I've ever had, again, mostly in pots. Do I
assume that lilies like the cold?
I was quite surprised how few plants didn't survive.

Pam in Bristol

Ditto here. Quite a few things appeared the worse for wear, but
recovered, including my West of Ireland fuschia which was all dry
brittle twigs from ground level up, but shot up merrily from the
bottom from mid May onwards. However, I am so far seeing no flower on
it.
In my region, (East Midlands of Ireland) all the cordilyne australis
perished. Or so I thought. I recently spotted little green spikes on
the side of tall trunks on some of my neighbours' ones. My own were
only 2 to 2.5m tall, so still covered in leaves from top to bottom
(dried leaves at the bottom, but no bare stem yet). I have not seen
anything coming on on mine, but have decided to give them another
while before cutting them down.

Caít()