Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Effects of cold winter

Like Bob, I thought I'd lost the Musella lasiocarpa that has been
established here for a good 6 or 7 years. It is making progress now,
although not as quickly as I would like. Hedychiums have been quite a
surprise. A few of the more tender types have gone, but the reputedly
tender H. greenii has sprung to life in the past couple of weeks
despite being frozen solid in its container during the winter.

This summer has seen the best ever performance of Cornus capitata.
This is a slightly tender, evergreen tree from the Himalayas and
produces large creamy yellow bracts that surround the central, green,
globe-like flower head. The bracts remain in good condition for
several weeks before turning pink prior to falling. Later, clusters
of dull red fruits rather like round strawberries are formed, giving
rise to the common name of Himalayan Strawberry Tree. With the
searing winds and bitter cold, I felt sure it would have suffered, but
it has done anything but that.

I lost all but one of my Pelargoniums, even Pato's Unique that had
developed woody gnarled stems almost certain to withstand any frost.
Not! However, Pelargonium 'Beauty of Bath' is thriving. It is a
dwarf zonal raised by an dear, but sadly no longer with us friend of
mine Monica Bennett. I would hate to have lost it and kicked myself
for leaving it outside. Somehow it came through, slowly at at the
start and is looking spry and perky with its first buds showing
vibrant pink against the dusky foliage.