Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica

General Schvantzkoph said:

My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my
garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for
Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this plant,

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjoshuarosen/Callaloo#

I think it looks like taro but my gardeners don't think so. They brought
the seeds from Jamaica where it's grown commercially so chances are that
this is safe. However these are the same guys who said that pokeweed was
edible so I'm not going to touch this stuff until I know what it is.
Please help identify this.

I agree with Steve Peek; this looks like some species of Amaranthus (and
not the Xanthosoma sp. also grown as Jamaican callaloo). Identifying to
particular species is probably something that requires a plant in bloom and
more expertise than I have.

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/seeds/amaran.htm
http://www.pbase.com/image/109098975

And the Wiki link for Amaranth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranth

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored