Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 05:50:43 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jul 9, 12:06*am, wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote:
Never thought to chop off good leaves, just keep em watered and fed.

I wonder if the original poster is thinking of nipping the growing tip off
when they reach the right height rather than taking off good leaves?

That's what I thought too. I was taught (a long time ago) to nip off
the little growing buds that shoot up between the main stem and
existing leaves. I was told that was to ensure the plant did not
produce too much vegetation, including additional trusses, which would
detract from those growing from the main stem.
However, I always manage to miss a few of those growing tips, and my
experience has been that they sometimes develop as a secondary stem,
giving additional fruit - so no loss.
The only downside I can see is that the plant is messier and takes up
more space. Indeed, I'm affraid this is the situation in my garden at
the moment.

Caít()

I don't think commercial growers with thousands of plants bother too
much with nipping of the tips.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com