Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19pandy56 View Post
I couldn't even think about throwing away vegetable matter, and everything goes in the compost bin.
However, we have rats nesting in it now, and although they don't really bother me, as the bin is way up the garden, and we live very near to a farm, and expect the odd little blighter, our rather posh next door neighbour noticed them whilst sunbathing in her garden the other day, and was mortified!!

She says she's not going to put up with rats, and has told us either to get rid of the compost bin, or she will call the council out to us.

Is there any way of 'spoiling' fruit and veg waste before putting it into the compost bin, so as not to attract rats, but that won't spoil the compost?
I would be very grateful of some help.
Where did she see the rats? Did she see them in your bin, or did she see them in the garden and jump to conclusions? Does she know that rats love to nest under sheds and under decking? and that they like eating spilled bird food? - does she have any of these in her garden?

I don't think you can easily treat veg waste. I suggest you call out the Council yourself. Our Council will deal with a "substantial infestation" for free. Then move the compost heap where she can't see it, or put up a fence between you and her. You can then tell her either that the Council has dealt with it, or the Council has told you that there is no problem.

Rats are a good deal more cautious than mice, and wary of disturbance, so you could try regular forking over of the heap. I wonder, too, what their reaction would be to very human-smelling urine on the heap - could be worth a try (just don't let your neighbour see that!)