Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default More bad tomato news

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jul 8, 1:12*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jul 8, 12:11*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

The "wilt" or whatever it is got so bad that I pulled up several large
plants that were not producing. *Also trimmed all the foliage
(infected, dried) from the remaining plants and left ONLY the tomatoes
to (I HOPE!) ripen.

Asked the nursery and they said the weather here (Santa Monica CA) has
been so overcast and humid that fungus or whatever has flourished.

1. *I want to protect the remaining plants (volunteers -- not the ones
from Home Despot that I tossed).
Nursery sold me product whose label reads:

"Serenade garden Disease Control: Can be used for organic gardens.
Fungicide that attacks harmful garden diseases." *Active ingredient is
QST 713 strain of Bacillus subtilis 0.074%.

This from AGRA Quest, not my favorite among corporate ag. giants.

2. *Nursery guy also said that I should not replant edibles in that
area; that I should remove the earth to a depth of (I think he said )
about 6" or more; that it would take "several years" for the area to
recover. *(Assuming it is infected).

That sounds pretty drastic to me; esp removing the earth. *It's been
suggested by a landscape friend that I PLANT some edibles, even
tomatoes, in that area to see what happens to them. *Perhaps wait
until this unseasonable cool and damp gives way to usual summer heat.

What do you think?

TIA

Thanks to those who replied.

Anybody used the chemical I described ?

"Serenade garden Disease Control: Can be used for organic gardens.
Fungicide that attacks harmful garden diseases." *Active ingredient is
QST 713 strain of Bacillus subtilis 0.074%.

Your results?

TIA

There is one way to go that has not been mentioned: that is to plant
verticillium/
fusarium resistant tomatoes. I have verticillium here in various
spots; this was
an old almond orchard and the disease is left from then. That was
over 25 years
ago and yes it is still here. But I plant tomatoes that have
VF1F2 following
the name and also rotate my planting spots every year. I like Park's
Whopper
and Park's Beefy Boy. They also hold well in our hot summers.They
will also
keep going until freezing temps, so you could still get a crop... if
you can find them.

Also, this cold, wet, cloudy winter was also responsible for the
fungal Rust on
the roses. It's going away with the hot, dry weather recently. But
it's still much
more humid here than usual.

Emilie
NorCal

Good call, if Mrs. Lieberman would go to
http://msucares.com/newsletters/pests/infobytes/19990325.htm
she will see a list of resistant tomatoes.
Park's Whopper seems to be resistant to everything and only needs 65
days or so to get to maturity. Dang, Mrs. L could grow it from seed if
she wanted.
Days to Maturity
Large Fruit Varieties
€ Park's Whopper Improved VFNT 65 days
€ Better Boy VFN 70 days
€ Lemon Boy VFN 75 days
€ Enchantment VFN
€ Celebrity VFNT 75 days
€ Miracle Sweet VFNT
€ Abraham Lincoln Improved VFN 75 days
€ Daybreak VF
€ Floramerica VF
€ Sunmaster VF
€ Mountain Delight VF
€ Mountain Pride VF
€ Mountain Spring VF
€ Sunny VF
Giant Beefsteaks Varieties
€ Big Beef VFNT 75 days
€ Beefmaster VFN 75 days
€ Burpee Supersteak VFN 85 days
Small Fruit Varieties
€ Sweet Chelsea VFNT
€ Small Fry VFN
€ Supersweet 100 VF
€ Cherry Grande VF
€ Maya VF
€ Golden Cherry FT
€ Suncherry FT
Patio Tomatoes Variety
€ Patio VF
Check with your garden supply store for other varieties which are
resistant to fungus wilts and root-knot nematodes. Remember that while
these varieties are resistant to certain diseases, there is no single
variety which is resistant to all diseases which affect the crop. So,
you'll still have to maintain a fungicide application program for early
blight, Septoria leaf spot, and some of the other fungus diseases for
which resistant varieties aren't widely available.
-----

Good luck Mrs. "L", and say, "hi" to Avigdor.

Allahu Akbar
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude