Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Hosepipe Ban

On 07/07/10 16:03, Pete wrote:
We are about to have a hosepipe ban throughout the North West. My
immediate reaction was not to worry - we have a 5,000 gallon water tank
filled with rainwater which we hadn't used because the pump system
wasn't working. My other half now says he can get the pump working so we
can use this water via our hosepipes.

However, I have got a vague memory of people not being allowed to use
hosepipes even if they are not connected to the mains water.

Is my memory correct or am I having a senior moment?!!!

Jeanne

On our allotment, we have a permanent hosepipe ban in a sense. You can
never water plants directly with a hose running from the mains water
supply.. You can only use a hose pipe to fill up your barrels (you can
have as many as you like) and then u fill ur water cans from there.

If a ban comes in, then the mains supply will be switched off.. just as
it is in winter time but then that is to insure against bursting pipes
in the cold weather.

Is it the same on other allotment sites?