Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default compost bin.

"19pandy56" wrote in message

I couldn't even think about throwing away vegetable matter, and
everything goes in the compost bin.
However, we have rats nesting in it now, and although they don't really
bother me, as the bin is way up the garden, and we live very near to a
farm, and expect the odd little blighter, our rather posh next door
neighbour noticed them whilst sunbathing in her garden the other day,
and was mortified!!

She says she's not going to put up with rats, and has told us either to
get rid of the compost bin, or she will call the council out to us.

Is there any way of 'spoiling' fruit and veg waste before putting it
into the compost bin, so as not to attract rats, but that won't spoil
the compost?
I would be very grateful of some help.

--
19pandy56

I recall having to keep the compost wet, so mice don't nest there, so I
would imagine the same would apply to rats. Maybe a call to the council from
yourselves will help, and keep neighbour sweet. I cant imagine you can be
prohibited from keeping a compost bin on your own property, but IANAL!