Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
Mike Ross Mike Ross is offline

Default Hosepipe Ban

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 18:14:19 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:

Your memory is correct. People were threatened with legal action for
using their hospipes to water their gardens with rainwater from tanks
etc. Note the term "threatened". I doubt whether they would actually
prosecute if you called their bluff. Frankly I doubt if they could
legally stop you moving your water with your hosepipe.

If it is for a banned purpose, they usually can. The ban is normally on
the use of the hose, irrespective of the source of the water.

I don't see how they can lawfully do that. Especially if it's YOUR water; the
water company - a private company! - don't get to tell you that you can't use
water from your butt, swimming pool, pond, or private reservoir or holding tank,
for watering the garden or washing your car! The whole notion is preposterous;
it's YOUR water, your hose, your garden, your pump - none of their bloody
business!

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org