Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default compost bin.

In article , Jake
writes
I manage several estates of offices and in one we had a major rat
problem - the rodent contractor put more and more bait boxes down but
the problem kept getting worse until I got the refuse contractor to
weld metal grilles over the drainage holes in the wheelie bins at the
end of last year so the rats cannot get in to the food waste inside.
This year the rat problem has miraculously disappeared. They're
opportunists at the end of the day

I've got a bin called a Joanna which has a plate with holes in it
already built in to the bottom so that rats can't get in. When my dogs
were here i knew when the ordinary bins had a mouse or rat in it as they
waited until they caught them coming out! however I have never had any
problem with the Joanna bin though it is quite dear.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph