Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Help with weeds

richie16 said:

Hello, guys, I am struggling like crazy to find out what this little
fella is called, and more importantly have to get rid of it for good.
I have pulled it, sprayed it, dug it, gravelled over it (with membrane)
but it just does not go away.
Can't find pictures of it anywhere and I want to turf over the area but
short of nukeing the garden first.....?? I'm not even sure that would
ghet rid.

I was sure before even looking at your picture that you were dealing
with horstails (Equisetum arvense).

The patient approach (years):
CUT (do not pull) all of the above ground shoots at ground level.
Cut them consistently by the time they reach 3 inches (7 cm).

Horsetails grow most vigorously in soils of low fertility and pH.
Topdress the area with compost and raise the soil pH with lime.

I've seen flower beds run rampant with horsetails surrounded by
well maintained turf with no signs of it.

If the site is otherwise suitable for turf grass (full sun, decent
drainage), then prepare the soil with soil amendments (compost,
limestone, fertilizer) and sod over it. The horsetails should not
be able to compete with the grass if you practice excellent turf
maintainence (mow high, mow often, with sharp blades, water
when rain is lacking, fertilize with slow release or organic lawn
fertilizers at regular intervals).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored