Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alex[_4_] Alex[_4_] is offline

Default Zingiber Officinale Seeds (Ginger)

"David Hare-Scott" schreef in bericht
Alex wrote:
A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer

I have read quite a bit about ginger and not seen any reference to growing
from seed. This doesn't prove that it can't be done but if it is then it is
uncommon (like potato). Some references say, in passing, that cultivated
ginger is sterile and that the wild ancestor is no longer found. I haven't
been able to track this down to an authoritative source but I suspect that
it is correct.

David

I know that Zingiber does produce flowers. And you do read
about 'ginger seeds' for food, but I haven't seen it for sale.

You could be right that the seed is sterile, but I haven't read
that either.

Alex