Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Dying Silver Birch

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 suziliz wrote:

Hello, I am new to this forum & a novice gardener, but would appreciate
some advice for my dying tree!
I have a young silver birch that appears to be dying.
It is in a UK city garden, approx 8feet high and is in between a very
young maple and a young hornbeam, both of which are fine.
We planted it when it was about 5 feet high and for the last few years
it has grown very well, but this year the leaves are very small and
sickly and over the last few weeks, 80% of them have gone crispy brown.
The rest are small but still green. The bark has an orange/brown tinge.
I am watering it regularly and have given some plant feed.

Welcome to uk.rec.gardening!

My first thought was that it isn't getting enough water but then you say
about the bark's orange/brown tinge. This might help:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcin072.pdf/$FILE/fcin072.pdf

David

http://rance.org.uk