Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Poppy Orientalis

In article , Jake
writes
Others no doubt do it differently but I chop mine down to about 2-3
inches above ground as soon as they finish flowering as I don't want
to collect any seed. Then the plants "next door" spread to cover the
gap.

I yank the dead stems out of the ground but can't remember where I
learned to do this. Once finished flowering the come out very easily . i
have never really cut them back as such. They seem to grow back okay but
perhaps I've been lucky?
I do the same for aubretia and stuff like it, i find the dead stems or
stems with seeds come out easily and leave the new growth at the bottom.

I might be wrong though!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy