Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Newbie Garlic Questions

Gribela wrote:

I planted some garlic in October and it is growing beautifully. Now
however it looks inclined to flower.

Assuming it's a hardneck type, the "flower" stalks usually should be cut
off to put more energy into the bulb.
Are the leaves starting to turn brown? As another reply said, you should
dig/pull (with my soil, it's DIG) when about half the tops have browned, to
preserve good wrappers on the bulb (this layer is the bottoms of the
leaves).
As for planting, I can't speak much for Scotland (though I wish I could;
some of the family tree has roots there), but in the northeastern U.S. the
rule of thumb is to plant 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes. The idea is
for the cloves to make root growth but little or not top growth to be
winter damaged at the cost of energy.

Hope this makes some sense....