Old 11-07-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy McIntosh Kathy McIntosh is offline

Default Triffid question

Like all lottie sites, ours has its fair share of people who know quite a
bit, people who think they know everything and those who know s*d all, like
me and my soil mate, Ann.

When a friend gave us four squash plants, I planted them straight into the
soil.
Those who know quite a bit said "You'll need to water them well".
Those who think they know everything said "You should have planted them on a
mound with a moat" or "You should have planted them on a mound with inset
flowerpots to act as a reservoir".

Of the ones on the moated mound, only one survives, about 6 inches high. Of
those with the pots, only one survives, but is looking quite bushy and green
with a few flowers.
Ours are making a determined bid to take over the whole plot :-} Which
brings me back to the question. One, a butternut, is not only fruiting
well, but is sending out long, exploratory tendrils, about four foot long
and growing and a couple of inches round. Should we pinch out the tips or
just let it get on with it?
--
Kathy