Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gad zukes

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Is it necessary to stake or cage zukes? I am growing black beauty. The
one plant I have is in a 22 inch pot and has started to grow
rapidly. Do some varieties vine as opposed to "mounding?"

All the ones I have grown (including BB) form a clump that gets longer with
the season but don't really run like a pumpkin or cucumber. In good
conditions it will never stay in a pot that size. It has no tendrils so it
will not grow on a trellis of its own accord but you could tie it up if the
ties will hold the weight and not damage the stems or leaves. The easiest
thing is just let it spread over the ground Leave word with the authorities
before you go in to harvest though.

David