Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Zingiber Officinale Seeds (Ginger)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:39:13 +0200, "Alex"
wrote:

"Billy" schreef in bericht
In article me.nl,
"Alex" wrote:

A strange question.

I know that ginger is usually propagated from rootstock.

However, does Zingiber Officinale (edible ginger) produce
viable seeds? I know they produce flowers, but planting
seeds is never mentioned.

Thanks a lot for the answer,

To the best of my knowledge, it is only grown in the tropics.
--
- Billy

I have access to some land in the tropics. Which is why
I'm asking - growing from seed would be a lot cheaper
than buying rootstock.

Alex

Commercial growing is often done from clones and if you want to go
into it commercially, you have a lot of information you need to gather
ahead of time.

I have seen such clones work done with orchids (had a friend in the
biz), but not with ginger and cannot say how simple or complicated it
is, although I do believe it'd be similarly done.

Perhaps a search on cloned ginger will get you started on information.
http://www.actahort.org/members/show...knrarnr=629_59

Boron