Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Try again: plum tree

In article ,
Another John wrote:
Thanks to all for the answers: seems like the hard winter has been the
problem. (We're in the North East of England here.) We didn't get much
blossom (didn't expect much, as it's still a young tree) but we had
expected a _few_ plums.

No, that's misleading. It's the TIMING of the temperature changes
that is the issue. I have a potentially huge crop, but there were
no frosts after it broke bud, and it was warm and dry while it was
flowering.

They can also crop in alternative years, if they feel like it.

I know now that I need to prune it quick while it's still summer, but
only to the extent of shaping it.

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.