Old 13-07-2010, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Triffid question

Kathy McIntosh wrote:
Regarding butternuts, we have also never pinched out anything, just let
them run, guiding them with canes when they get too near something else.
If you can get them to root at the nodes even better.

Thanks Bob. Will direct it away from the beans towards the fence.

We also never pinch out, just let them go. You'll get different sized
fruits, but that's often handy. :-)
You can always let them go over your bean soil and act as a mulch, a la "the
there sisters" - corn for beans to climb up, squash to ground cover and keep
out weeds. Althuogh if they start climbing up your beans you may find them
struggling, or if your beans are dwarves!