Old 13-07-2010, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tomatoes

~Brian~ wrote:
I have never subscribed to this idea of side shoot nipping, but I do nip out
the tops when they are about 5 feet. I always have good crops of medium to
large sized tomatoes which is how we like them. Just my 2 penneth.

We've just started nipping the tops of those in greenhouse1, which is
shorter than greenhouse2, and also gets a lot less sun - last year we ended
with a load of unripened tomatoes, so hopefully the nipping out will a. stop
the condensation issues where the leaves touch the glass, and b. may get
them to ripen up earlier this year!

Greenhouse2 last year went a teensy little bit mental, with 1
over-enthusiastic cherry tomato plant by the door making it so you had to
bend over double to get into the greenhouse by mid-August!