Old 13-07-2010, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Lemons ripening

wrote in message
In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
We have had our second lemon tree for a good few months now and it is
outside in a new big pot looking very perky.
It came from Aldi with three ripe lemons on (which we have gradually used)
and three reasonable sized green lemons.

These lemons don't seem to be getting much (or indeed any) bigger and show
no signs of ripening despite all the hot weather.

I am feeding with citrus food regularly, and keeping watered.

Anyone know how long lemons take to ripen?

A long time, but it is quite hard to tell when they are. Despite
what the marketdroids tell us, and the experience of those who
think lemons grow in supermarkets, they do NOT usually show their
ripeness by going yellow. That's caused by ethylene (I think).

Any easy way to tell if they are ripe (but still green) apart from picking
them and tasting them?

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder