Old 13-07-2010, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Wasps

wrote:
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Wasps have a serious image problem, don't they?
No-one is bothered when they are out and about earlier in the year
(you don't see them much then) gathering up caterpillars from your
fruit & veg to feed their larvae, but the moment they are on ripe
fruit later in the year, drunk as **** and likely to sting you,
it's all "let's set a trap and kill them"

Well, those particular wasps are all under sentence of death, anyway,
so it doesn't make much difference to them :-)

Yes, I know the workers will die in autumn, Nick, but let's not go crazy
killing them before their time, eh?
I think they are beneficial insects and always allow queens to overwinter in
my house - even though I had a bad experience with a queen wasp in my
jeans..ouch!

Tina