Old 14-07-2010, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default How do you folks support your small plants while they're growing?

Example, sunflowers. I've got a couple of those 24-segment propogation
trays, each segment has a newly-sprouted sunflower coming up. (I planted
some others a few weeks ago but they all snapped in half).. so they need
support.

I've cut lengths of green plant sticks and stuck one in each segment, made a
kind of "noose" with the green garden wire and looped one end around the
shoot just below the two leaves, and the other around the stick but it's
incredibly fiddly and I'm not sure they're going to last.

Are there any ready-made/easier solutions for holding shoots up until
they're big enough to transplant? And are sunflowers *ever* strong enough to
hold themselves up or will I need to use longer sticks as they grow? Some of
these are going to be 1 metre, others taller.

Many thanks.