Old 14-07-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Lemons ripening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...
We have had our second lemon tree for a good few months now and it is
outside in a new big pot looking very perky.
It came from Aldi with three ripe lemons on (which we have gradually
used) and three reasonable sized green lemons.

These lemons don't seem to be getting much (or indeed any) bigger and
show no signs of ripening despite all the hot weather.

I am feeding with citrus food regularly, and keeping watered.

Anyone know how long lemons take to ripen?

I've had them take about 12 months to grow and ripen but usually if they
grow from a spring flowering they are ready late autumn/Christmas.
Has yours flowered since you had it? Larger/older trees tend to flower at
odd times throughout the year, sometimes even in the darkest winter, but
the insects are not about then so it's the spring/summer flowers that tend
to grow into fruit. Also don't let them try to grow too many fruit or it
will weaken the tree, I learnt my lesson by allowing our Tahiti lime to
produce 32 full sized fruit one year and it has taken it two years to
recover.

It is flowering more or less continuously and is setting fruit (even without
insects).
However the newly set fruit don't seem to be growing much.
Thanks for the timescale - I will cease my worrying :-)

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder