Old 14-07-2010, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Periproct Periproct is offline

Default Beginner

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 14/07/2010 04:15, Periproct wrote:
Excuse me taking the easy way out and coming straight here.

Total beginner at growing anything and working with a garden that has
been neglected for years.
I've cleared the weeds and started work with a fork breaking up the very
hard earth.

I presume I need to break the earth up until it is quite fine. Not the
big, hard lumps I have at the moment. I'm guessing the next step will be
mixing in some kind of fertiliser before I plant.

Can anybody recommend a easy way of breaking up the soil because with
the fork it is still in big lumps. Secondly, what should I add before I
start planting. (Herbs are my first venture and they are in pots at the
moment).

Regards

Old gardeners would plant potatoes in it for the first year, to break up
the soil and improve it for following years.

It's not potatoes that break up/ clean up the soil, it's the digging and
earthing up involved with them.

Apart from herbs, what is planned for this garden?

I had plans for vegetables as well but I'll have to get a book to find out
when I can plant what.
I've been told that sweetcorn is a totally different beast when freshly
picked compared to shop bought.