Old 15-07-2010, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps

In article , says...
On 2010-07-14 18:00:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

Went down the allotment to mow the grass track through it this
afternoon, doing well when I hit a wasp nest somewhere on the ground.
OMG first time I've ever been attacked by a gang of them and I wouldn't
like it to happen again thank you!
It's right by a water trough so a bit dangerous, I'll mail the Council
on the off-chance they might do something.

One of our staff did that twice on his family's farm last year and he
found two nests here. He hates the things so they seem to follow him
about! Last year was certainly the year of the wasp round here. Our
pest controller told us that it goes in cycles. You can have two or
three fairly quiet wasp years and then you'll have one when all hell
breaks loose. That was it for us last year. They were all over the
place. I've seen two this year.

Yes its odd, they are not even around on the persicaria amplexicaul which
is normally covered, you would think after a bumper year like last year
more queens would be around this, must have been the long cold spring,
not so many survived the winter hibernation?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk