Old 15-07-2010, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Enchanter's nightshade

On 14/07/2010 14:31, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
It's a saxifrage relative, I believe.

It's a willow herb relative (Onagraceae). Hitting the literature I find
a claim that Fuchsia is its nearest relative, other than the other
species of Circaea. [Levin et al, American Journal of Botany 90(1):
107-115 (2003).

Spider

Blush :~)! Yes, you're quite right. I always thought the leaves were
more fuchsia-like than saxifrage, but having read/been told ages ago
that it was a saxifrage relative *and* detecting a saxifrage likeness in
the flower spike, I didn't question it. I should have, shouldn't I?
:~(. Thanks for the education.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London