Old 15-07-2010, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Tomato plant stalks broken

"Frank" wrote in message
On 7/15/2010 1:54 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
wrote in message
In ,
"Paul M. wrote:

I sure beat the BER problem. It just took way more calcium than I ever
thought necessary. In the last 2 weeks I only lost 3 to BER after
heavy
calcium supplements.

And you don't remember anyone telling you that BER happened at the
beginning of production and then went away? You are such an idiot.

Oh, pardon me. I had this mistaken as a gardening newsgroup. I do
recall
reading that elsewhere but here the consensus was a water issue which it
in
fact was not because that remains the same. Had I listened to you I'd
still
be battling BER. And I think you're a jackass. So?

Leave the branches alone. This is what tomato plants do.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Paul

I've had more concise descriptions of Billy

Once tomatoes get going, they are like weeds, and it takes a lot to
eradicate them. Wouldn't worry if branches were cut or broken.

Once I got onto calcium and add a handful of limestone to my pots each
season, BER has not come back.

It took way more than I would have guessed but it finally did the trick. I
was losing 3-4 every day for a while. I may try pruning next year to keep
the branch weight down. So far I have a very large number of not so big
tomatoes. Would like that to be the reverse.

Paul