Old 15-07-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Birds

On Jul 15, 12:22*pm, "dido22" wrote:
Hello,

I have a cherry tree in the garden which fruited this year for the 1st time
(it's only a few years old). The cherries were fabulous. Unfortunately the
local birds agreed, and stripped the tree bare. Other than throwing a net
over the tree, any ideas for next year ?

KK

No, sorry. If you've got squirrels as well the cage had better be wire
netting - squirrels will destroy anything else. That's the solution I
resorted to in the garden where I worked. If your cherries are on Colt
or better still the dwarfing rootstock Gisela 5 then cageing is quite
doable. it does make them expensive cherries but they're delicious.

Rod