Old 16-07-2010, 10:08 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguy2k8[_2_] View Post

They're all between 1-2 inches so far, should I start putting them into
larger containers yet and is there a good technique for picking up the whole
segment of compost/root in one go without damaging the plant or the root? I
might just cut the trays open if there's no better way to do it without
disturbing things too much.
I usually repot when the root system is good enough to hold most of the compost together. Squeeze the container while tipping it and jiggling it a bit, and the whole rootball should slide neatly out on to your hand. Use your other hand to put some soil into the base of the new pot (ideally do this before taking the plant out of the old pot, but thinking ahead isn't my strong point), place the rootball on it, fill with soil and firm down.