Old 16-07-2010, 03:35 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny07 View Post
Did you get any advice on this - we have 2 in our garden that are exactly the same (although ours are only around 4 yrs old).Started last year but is a lot worse this year
Twisted Willow, sometimes described as Salix contorta, I think is really Salix babylonica var matsudana "Tortuosa"

It is a native to dry areas of north China, and has a number of problems in cultivation in many parts of Europe, which tends to result in it being short-lived here. In particular, (1) it is prone to damage in late frosts, such as we had this year. And (2) it also doesn't like the humidity, such as we had last year, resulting in it suffering a number of diseases including cankers and willow anthracnose. See Salix babylonica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife tells me it is commonly grown where she comes from, in eastern Moravia, which would seem to have a more suitable climate than here.