Old 16-07-2010, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Flower Show

wrote:
In my village, peace broke out a few years ago, and the show is no
more - though it was pretty desultory. I was a bit cheesed off when
my borlotti beans were excluded as 'out of category' for French beans,
and the prize went to someone who had submitted runners!

Ooh, harsh! I had a victoria jam sponge disqualified a few years back for
including butter cream (I didn't know you /could/ make them without butter
cream!!) - and worse, the year before my coffee + walnut cake got left
behind in the fridge and we never even entered. *sob* It was /really/
yummy though. :-)

The thing I've never worked out is whether white potatoes with coloured eyes
go in the white or coloured potato categories. Anyone know for sure? It
seems to be a bit arbitrary with what wins at ours