Old 17-07-2010, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Serena Blanchflower Serena Blanchflower is offline

Default OT chicken courses

* wrote, On 17/07/2010 12:24:
Janet wrote:
Do you really lose lots of money? i would have liked to rehome some
battery hens and run a few rare breeds alongside if possible.

I assumed he meant that you would lose money on the course (where you can
probably find all the content you need online or in books anyhow).

That was how I read it, as well.

Given
the price of our chicken run, I suspect we're still running slightly at a
loss, but with nearly 4 eggs a day and an outlay of ~200 pound, we're not
doing too badly. Neighbour is selling his eggs at a pound/half dozen at the
moment. We've never had enough to sell them (although we do get up to 30 in
a backlog now and then, but then I either visit my mum, or I make cakes)

When I kept chickens, some years ago, and sold most of the eggs at
work, I reckoned they earn enough to cover their food bills but
without anything left over to contribute to the capital costs.

Making money out of them hadn't been part off the reason for wanting
to keep chickens though, so that was fine.

--
Cheers, Serena

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main. (John Donne)