Old 17-07-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Birds

On Jul 17, 12:47*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"dido22" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a cherry tree in the garden which fruited this year for the 1st
time (it's only a few years old). The cherries were fabulous.
Unfortunately the local birds agreed, and stripped the tree bare. Other
than throwing a net over the tree, any ideas for next year ?

Depending on how large your garden is you could always plant 3 or 4 more
cherry trees.
After a certain point you get more cherries than the local birds can eat.

There is a wildlife area near to us which has loads of cherry trees planted
and there are always plenty of ripe fruit despite the local bird population.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. I think the advice used to be to always plant two cherry trees - one
for the birds and one for yourself.

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

They're wild cherries - the birds will leave those alone 'til they've
polished off the domestic cherries.

Rod