Old 17-07-2010, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Seeking bigger alder seeds

In message
Janet wrote:

In article , kay.6b616a6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Michael Bell;894053 Wrote:

My plan is to breed for bigger seeds by traditional plant breeding
methods and the starting point for that is seeds from
naturally-occurring alders.

--

How many years does an alder take from seed to bearing cones?

red alder only takes about 7 years.I grew them because they have
larger cones, very handsome in winter when trees are bare. Size of cone
doesn't mean larger seeds though; they are still only about the size of
dandruff.

Janet B

Yes, I have seen red alders, Alnus rubra, American alder, in parks in
this country, a very big tree. But the wood is used for the bodies of
electric guitars. You can't get cooler than that!

Michael Bell