Old 18-07-2010, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
john hamilton[_2_] john hamilton[_2_] is offline

Default Discararded pot plants used as a pot filler?

When the local council have pulled out all the 'finished' plants they have
put out in flower beds, they throw them on a big unsightly heap in a remote
corner of the cemetery.

After a while it ends up being a very sandy type of compost. It doesnt look
like there is much loam in it.

Would this be good to throw into garden pots mixed with some additional
soil? I guess the dead plants would just rot down and add some nutrition to
the mix?

It also has a lot of small bits of chopped tree bark in it. Would this tree
bark help with moisture retention, or would it be a waste of time from that
point of view? Would I be better picking out the tree bark and throwing it
away? Thanks.